Goddard & Malmquist
For experienced representation
Call our firm 847-382-3995
Menu / Navigate In This Section

Child support issues may need professional

Child support is often a part of a divorce proceeding. If you and your spouse have a good relationship, the issues may well become non-issues. If you don't have a solid basis in friendship and parenthood, there may be some contention involved with the child support portion of the divorce. The court will be the decider for you at this point and will do its best to put the children first; however, you and your ex-spouse need to also see that the children's welfare is in your hands.

For the first 18 years of your children's lives, they will be fully entitled to whatever the judge says they are to get, per statute guidelines. After that age, if the child turns 19 and hasn't graduated from high school yet, the support payments stop at that point. If you have been released from your legal duty to the child, you may be able to stop paying any support. Of course, an attorney will be able to guide you into more detail on this.

If you are separated but not yet divorced, the Illinois Healthcare and Family Services/Department of Child Support Enforcement and a professional may be able to assist you by filing an Administrative Order to bring the case before the judge. This will help you receive child support before you are divorced.

If you are the custodial parent and are having some trouble in getting your ex-spouse to pay the child support due, HFS/DCSE can assist by not only keeping a record of the payments made but can send notices to your ex-spouse regarding this issue. Although it may take some time, allowing HFS/DCSE is an option.

Talking to a legal professional who knows all the laws and statutes of the state of Illinois that have to do with child support may be a good idea. Having someone in your corner can be invaluable when you are trying to make ends meet and don't have weeks and months to receive your child support.

Source: Child support in Illinois, "Enforcement of child support" Oct. 12, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Schedule Your

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Goddard & Malmquist

Goddard & Malmquist
1250 South Grove Avenue
Suite 101
Barrington, IL 60010

Phone: 847-382-3995
Fax: 847-382-4038
Map & Directions

Chicago Office
333 W. Wacker
Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60606

Map & Directions