Goddard & Malmquist
For experienced representation
Call our firm 847-382-3995
Menu / Navigate In This Section

What determines the child support receive and how is it paid?

Child support issues in Illinois reflect the general feeling in the whole of the United States. Will we put the needs of the child first or will we take revenge on our ex-spouse? The real question that needs to be asked is how will the amount of support be determined and how will it get paid?

Getting child support matters into a court of law will usually allow you and your ex-spouse to bring up your concerns and wishes. The parent who is filing the complaint must notify the other parent regarding the preceding. This will start the process of determining the amount of child support to be paid. The court will research this person's income and, after it is determined who will be the non-custodial parent, he or she will need to be prepared to pay a certain amount of his or her income towards the raising of the child.

The state of Illinois has specific guidelines that must be more or less adhered to by the court. This is because extenuating circumstances may exist for the child, the custodial parent or the non-custodial parent. Depending on the number of children involved, the guidelines give a percentage of the non-custodial parent's wages to the custodial parent. For instance, if there is only one child, roughly 20 percent of the non-custodial parent's income will be paid for upkeep of the child.

Child support payments will be made to the Illinois Healthcare and Family Services Department/Division of Child Support Enforcement. If you are the parent who does not have custody, the payments you make will be automatically deducted from your paycheck by your employer and will be forwarded to HFS/DCSE. They will, in turn, forward it to the State Disbursement Unit. If you receive benefits from the state, you will get an amended amount from the SDU. The amount will be determined based on the amount you receive from the state and how much child custody you receive from your ex-spouse.

Do you have questions about child support? You may want to contact a legal professional who has experience in this area of divorce. He or she will be able to answer your questions and provide you with a course of action.

Source: Child support in Illinois, "What determines the amount of child support I receive and how is it paid?" Oct. 05, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Schedule Your

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Goddard & Malmquist

Goddard & Malmquist
1250 South Grove Avenue
Suite 101
Barrington, IL 60010

Phone: 847-382-3995
Fax: 847-382-4038
Map & Directions

Chicago Office
333 W. Wacker
Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60606

Map & Directions