Goddard & Malmquist
For experienced representation
Call our firm 847-382-3995
Menu / Navigate In This Section

Child support and college expenses

Conditional expenses such as college tuition and extracurriculars can be included when determining child support, but are not required to be covered by parents. If these expenses were not considered during the parent's divorce, one parent may be able to request ongoing child support to serve their child throughout their college years. They can do that by seeking a modification of the support order from the family court.

When deciding to award ongoing child support for college expenses, the family court may consider a variety of factors. These factors are similar to those the family court uses when determining child support for a minor child. Similar to the process of applying for financial aid, the family court will consider the financial resources and incomes of both parents, the child's academic performance, as well as any other available financial resources, including possible financial aid and scholarships.

The family court may also consider the type of arrangement the adult child would have had if his or her parents had not divorced. If one parent suggests that the college expenses would have been paid for had the marriage not dissolved, a family court may be more willing to award ongoing support.

The order to continue child support for the duration of an adult child's college education would be subject to the same modification, enforcement and termination as a support order for a minor child. This support would likely be meant to cover expenses related to tuition, travel, books, room and board and medical expenses until they receive their degree. Parents wishing to seek a continuation or modification of a support order for their adult child may benefit by speaking to a family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Schedule Your

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Goddard & Malmquist

Goddard & Malmquist
1250 South Grove Avenue
Suite 101
Barrington, IL 60010

Phone: 847-382-3995
Fax: 847-382-4038
Map & Directions

Chicago Office
333 W. Wacker
Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60606

Map & Directions