Goddard & Malmquist
For experienced representation
Call our firm 847-382-3995
Menu / Navigate In This Section

I can't make my child support payments

If you reside in Illinois, and you have gone through a divorce and now are under court orders to pay child support, you may be having a difficult time adjusting to the payments. The whole situation is likely to be a challenge, now you want to spend money and indulge your children when you have them, but your resources are so tapped because you are giving the money to your ex.

If you are having trouble making payments, you do have options. You don't want to simply discontinue making the payments, but they are simply too high for you. This is when you should return to the court and explain your financial situation and then request a modification of your child support payments.

If you do not make your payments for six months or more, you could be put in jail. You could be fined or sentenced to community service. You could have your wages garnished or even have your license pulled or suspended. You could have your income tax returns withheld.

There are numerous repercussions for parents who do not pay their child support and who do not seek a modification from the court. A family law attorney in Illinois should be able to present your options to you and advocate for you in the courts to help you get a payment you can truly afford. Once you have a payment you can make, you and your children can thrive. Your lawyer may even be able to assist you with budgeting to afford the support payments you are required to pay.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Schedule Your

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Goddard & Malmquist

Goddard & Malmquist
1250 South Grove Avenue
Suite 101
Barrington, IL 60010

Phone: 847-382-3995
Fax: 847-382-4038
Map & Directions

Chicago Office
333 W. Wacker
Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60606

Map & Directions