Life Changes May Require Modifications To Child Support

If you need to pay less or receive more child support for any reason, it is important to hire a lawyer and go to court for a formal modification. Even if your child’s other parent informally agrees to a change, you cannot enforce the informal agreement until the official decree is modified by a judge.

We are family law attorneys practicing in the area. We have 75 years of legal experience and have been helping individuals with child support modification issues reach resolutions to their often complex legal issues. We help clients pursue and oppose support modifications in response to child-related circumstances such as the following:

  • Changes in income: If either parent has lost his or her job or had a substantial change upward or downward in income, he or she can pursue a child support modification.
  • Retirement of either parent: One common event affecting parental income is retirement. We frequently help clients pursue child support modifications in light of retirement.
  • Extraordinary expenses: Child support can be increased when a child has special needs.
  • Legal adulthood: If your child has turned 18 and graduated from high school, you cannot simply stop paying support; you need to go to court to terminate the obligation.

There are a number of other reasons why application of the Illinois child support guidelines may give a very different result today than it did when your judgment was entered. We can review your case and help you determine whether you are entitled to modify child support.

Contact An Experienced Divorce Modification Attorney Today

Whether you need to pay less child support, receive more child support or terminate child support, we can help you achieve your goals. To schedule a consultation, please contact Greenwich Law Group, LLC at 847-382-3995 or send us an email. We represent clients from offices in Oak Park and Chicago .