Cohabitation Agreements Provide Protections For Couples Who Do Not Wish To Marry

Times are changing, and more and more couples are choosing to live together and share their lives without the legally binding commitment of marriage or civil union status. Despite the changing times, however, the law offers little help to couples who do not enter into these formal relationships.

Illinois law does not afford unmarried couples the same rights as married couples or couples in a civil union, no matter how long you have lived together. For this reason, it makes sense to enter into written, legally binding agreements on important matters concerning your relationship and assets.

We have helped many non-married couples establish agreements regarding how their relationships — and any potential breakups — will be handled.

Helping Clients Set Their Own Terms For Their Relationships

In Illinois, marriages and civil unions are structured relationships, containing a bundle of rights, responsibilities and benefits. A Domestic Partnership Agreement or Cohabitation Agreement, on the other hand, is a private contract making custom arrangements for issues such as:

  • Shared property and assets
  • Payment of expenses and debts
  • Child-rearing responsibilities and expenses
  • Insurance
  • Guidelines and procedures for ending the relationship

These agreements can be used for both opposite-sex and same-sex partnerships. If you and your life partner do not want the formality of a marriage but still want certain legal protections, a domestic partnership or Cohabitation Agreement may be the right option.

Meet With An Experienced Cohabitation Agreement Attorney

We understand that many families are not the “traditional” nuclear family, and we are committed to helping our clients enter into written agreements that will make their relationships stronger, prepare them for the future and secure their individual rights.

To discuss how we can help you with the preparation, review or negotiation of a domestic partnership or Cohabitation Agreement — or with the dissolution of a non-married relationship — please contact an attorney at Greenwich Law Group, LLC at 847-382-3995 or by email to schedule a consultation at our Chicago or Oak Park office.